Igreja Santa Maria dos Olivais Church or Saint Mary of the Olive Grove is located at Church R. Aquiles da Mota Lima, 2300-455 Tomar, Portugal.
The Portuguese Templar Masters' sacred dome is located in Santa Maria do Olival Church. The first church of the Order of the Temple was constructed in the 13th century on top of an earlier structure, a Visigothic-era monastery belonging to the order of S. Bento.
Romanesque and Gothic influences are visible in the building's design. Renaissance in design, these side chapels and the south gallery date back to the 16th century. There are several noteworthy items in this chapel, including the tomb of Gualdim Pais, the figure of Nossa Senhora by Diogo Pires-o-Velho, the renaissance tomb of the 1st Bishop of Funchal in the main chapel on the left, and the chapel of Simão Preto, which features tiles from the 17th century.
On March 13, 1455, Pope Calisto III issued a papal bull designating this church as the "Mother Church" of all churches in Asia, Africa, and the Americas. As a result, the prior's ecclesiastical authority over the people living in the overseas regions was solidified.
Rebuilt in the 16th century, the bell tower had served as a watchtower from the 12th century.
Traveller, chief taste-tester and food finder and retired expat living in Lisbon, Portugal.